[Lustre-devel] [wc-discuss] Lustre code style Git commit hooks

Prakash Surya surya1 at llnl.gov
Mon Nov 14 10:10:24 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 08:08:49AM -0800, James Simmons wrote:

> > > Yes your right. I updated the hooks and it works now. I also had to learn
> > > you need a subsystem: field for commits now. Info about the subsystem
> > > field is not the wiki.
> >
> > Hmm, which wiki page are you referring to?  The "Using Gerrit" page has had
> > the "component:" tag since june, long before I sent out the email,
> > and it was in the original email as well:
>
> http://wiki.whamcloud.com/display/PUB/Using+Gerrit
>
> Looking at the page I do see the "component:" tag, but its because I
> looked for it. It needs to be more clear what is required to push a
> patch. Just a outsider's view.

Would a more detailed explanation of each "part" of the commit message
help? For example, under the sample commit message:

 * LU-000: Issue number referencing an open issue at jira.whamcloud.com

 * component: The component(s) affected by this patch (i.e. osd-ldiskfs,
              lnet, etc.)

 * Short Description: ...

 * etc...

Looking at the wiki page referenced above, it's a little hard to
distinguish each section from one another. They all seem to blend into a
single wall of text, IMO. Splitting them up into separate pages, or
simply using a better color scheme to distinguish the sections apart,
might help the page's readability as a whole.

--
Cheers,
Prakash