[Lustre-devel] your opinion about testing improvements (was Lustre-devel Digest, Vol 72, Issue 17)

Nathan Rutman Nathan_Rutman at xyratex.com
Wed Apr 11 16:00:40 PDT 2012

On the 4/5 TWG concall we discussed this further, and came up with 5 items that we would
like to address.

discussion:
   Xyratex started by suggesting that the test suite included with every
   Lustre release needed reworking.  This led to a group conversation
   that focused on the following areas:

   1) refactor unused tests
      Test scripts have grown unwieldly and do not form a coherent
      test package.  As a result, there are some tests that are
      used regularly and others that ineffective and skipped.  We
      should remove the unused tests.

   2) create single test suite
      Each release has its own test suite and assumes that the client
      and server will use the same test version.  It is becoming common
      today to have different client/server versions.  In this case, it
      is unclear which tests from which release package should be used.
      Instead, we should have a single test suite that accommodates
      different combinations of client and server versions.

   3) extract individual tests from the scripts
      Many of the tests are run as a suite.  There needs to be some
      mechanism to allow running components of the suite independently.
      To do this, we will need to make clear the dependencies of the
      subtests so that users know a test can be run only after another
      component of the test has executed.  Also mentioned was the need
      for a common header on all test results to facilitate
      post-processing.

   4) client failure shouldn't stop the tests
      The goal is never to have test failures, nonethelees failures
      currently can stall test progress.  The suites need to be written
      to allow for client failures.

   5) increase code coverage
      There are new tests that we should consider adding to the Lustre
      suite in order to increase code coverage. Suggestions were xfstest
      and some of the MPI tests.

Obviously this is not as bold as Chris' statement, which, by the way, I am happy to entertain as well.  Do others have anything to add to the list above, or thoughts on proceeding with a completely new architecture?