[Lustre-devel] [wc-discuss] Important changes to libcfs primitives usage.

Peng, Tao tao.peng at emc.com
Wed Dec 19 18:32:04 PST 2012

Well, there are situations that autoconf cannot handle properly, such as the open_flag change by upstream commit (8a5e929dd2e05ab4d3d89f58c5e8fca596af8f3a). The change is inline so we cannot tell it without grepping the source file (fs/namei.c) which is likely unavailable when users build Lustre client from source. We currently solved it by putting a LINUX_VERSION_CODE check there but as you see it is not trustworthy when vendors backport patches.

And IMO, the right way to solve such problems is to put Lustre in upstream/stable kernels and let vendors ship it so that they match in the first place.

Cheers,
Tao