[Lustre-devel] [Lustre-discuss] [wc-discuss] Seeking contributors for Lustre User Manual

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Wed Nov 14 16:12:40 PST 2012

On 11/14/12 4:51 PM, "Christopher J. Walker" <C.J.Walker at qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
>On 13/11/12 21:26, Ned Bass wrote:
>> - A review process for proposed changes that assures a high standard of
>>quality
>
>That's important. I've spotted cases where it's clear there's an issue,
>but am not sure what the correct answer is.
>
>A quick way of reporting issues in the manual would be useful too -
>whilst I did go to the effort of registering in order to submit typos,
>that's rather heavyweight. Just being able to send an e-mail would be
>easier - but it's true that someone needs to sort them.

I think that while email may be easier for the initial report to be
submitted, it places more burden on the recipient to track the issue (or
risk losing/forgetting the email over time), and the issue is only visible
to the recipient (and cannot easily be seen by others or transferred to
someone else for resolution).  If we really want to scale the process of
updating the manual, then pushing the work to turn the emails into
tickets/fixes is not moving in the right direction.

I would prefer to see a fix immediately rather than someone filing a
ticket to describe the fix, since the documentation fix should be
self-describing.  However, if there is a problem that isn't immediately
resolved then a Jira ticket should be submitted in order to track the
defect and allow assigning the work to someone.  The effort of setting up
Jira and/or Gerrit accounts is a one-time thing, and is shared with normal
bug reporting, so hopefully not a huge burden (no worse than having to get
an account for the wiki, which would also be a requirement to submit, to
avoid wiki spam).

Hopefully this will not be a huge obstacle for contributions in the end.