[Lustre-devel] OSD object questions

James A Simmons uja at ornl.gov
Thu Oct 18 12:15:34 PDT 2012

Hello

        I have started the process of learning the new OSD design and
have a few questions after reading the osd-api document as well as the
code. The questions center around the OSD Objects which is described by
struct lu_object. Now each object is described as being represented by a
header (lu_header) and slices. Also the code refers to the concept of
compound objects. Now if I'm understanding this correctly then a perfect
example of a compound object is struct lovsub_object which is a super
class of lu_object composed of two other classes. Now in this exmaple
class lso_cl would be considered one of the allocated slices in the
lu_object stack. Same for lso_super. Then for lov_object lo_cl would be
a slice etc until we hit the bottom of the stack at the base class
lu_object.

struct lovsub_object {
        struct cl_object        lso_cl;
        struct lov_object      *lso_super;
}

struct lov_object {
        struct cl_object lo_cl;

strict cl_object {
        struct lu_object co_lu;
        ..
}

struct lu_object {
        struct lu_header lo_header;
}

Now let see if I'm interrupting this correctly. I noticed many
of the zzz_object_init functions for lu_object_operations have
a format similar to :

static int zzz_object_init(const struct lu_env *env,
                           struct lu_object *o,
                           const struct lu_object_conf *conf)
{
        struct zzz_device *d = lu2zzz_dev(o->lo_dev);
        struct lu_device  *under;
        struct lu_object  *below;
        int                rc = 0;
        ENTRY;

        under = &d->yyy->dd_lu_dev;
        below = under->ld_ops->ldo_object_alloc(env, o->lo_header,
under);
        if (below != NULL)
                lu_object_add(o, below);
        else
                rc = -ENOMEM;

        return 0;
}

This is not allocation the zzz_object type that would be allocated by
zzz_object_alloc but is instead a lower level lu_object type object.
Would it always one one slice lower or the lowest level i.e lu_object
itself? Then it forms a compound object with lu_object_add.

That is the easy part. The part I had a hard time making out was the
lu_object_alloc() function in lu_object.c. You appear to allocate a
top level lu_object with the low level ldo_object_alloc hook but its a
freshly created object so I assume because you did add the top object to
its own list, loh_layer, that the loop you do only contains one object
but you loop as if alot of lu_objects will be in the loh_layers list
with some even allocated. Where is that list being set from so the
properly related objects are initialized? Which objects are being
initialized? The one's higher in the slice?