[Lustre-devel] Language choice for Lustre tests

Kilian Cavalotti kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 00:18:34 PDT 2012

Hi Roman,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Roman Grigoryev
<roman_grigoryev at xyratex.com> wrote:
> RH5 has only python2.4, SL61  has python2.4 and python2.6, and looks like
> only last Fedora will have python3.

I agree that inter-version compatibility could be a problem with
Python. But to take this argument literally, the best way to avoid
compatibility issues is to use the widest-spread and most version
consistent language across supported distributions, ie. bash.

> In same time, Ubuntu says that from next
> release want to have only Python 3.

Since only RHEL, CentOS and SLES are supported, should we really care
about python versions in Ubuntu?
When installing Lustre in Ubuntu, users already have to do their own
packaging, so I'm not sure that having to install a specific version
of a scripting language would make much of a difference.

> Now Lustre tests compatibility for wide set of system is solved by shell and
> standard utilities. Perl also has great
> compatibility history, many scripts could work on latest version as 10 years
> ago. It is reason why I see Perl as
> good decision.

So what's wrong with bash again? If it's just "too flexible, easy to
abuse", I'm afraid there's little in Perl to prevent falling into the
same pitfalls. :)

Cheers,
--
Kilian