[Lustre-devel] Language choice for Lustre tests

DEGREMONT Aurelien aurelien.degremont at cea.fr
Wed Oct 24 09:30:43 PDT 2012

Hello

I've developed in Perl and Python for several years in both languages. I
enjoyed both.
Regarding starting a new project, for testing framework, here is several
points which are the key points for choosing the right language.

- Longevity

Perl as a long history behind it, is available in all distros, that's
true. But Perl is there for compatibility for running projects which
were starting a long time ago. Nobody is starting a really big and fancy
project in Perl nowadays. All new hackers are only speaking of Python or
Ruby. You will not attract contributors with Perl. Perl 5 is very
compatible because no new changes is really added to this language.
And do not tell me that Perl 6 is coming. If Perl 6 is an option, then
there is no issue with Python 3 and forget your compatibility.

- Compat

Developping in Python, for a large number of environment means coding
for Python 2.4+. This will run nicely on Python up to 2.7
As long as only Python 2 only is concerned, compat for Python is fine.
But I agree that Python 3 is coming, and at long term, it should be
taken in account even if no major distro is using it right now.
(No Python 3 before RHEL7 or next Ubuntu LTS (14.04))

-Lustre is for system people

Lustre is developped by system guys, which mainly use vim or emacs to
develop in Lustre. Very few of them are using IDE or stuff like Maven.
Population developing Java with Maven is the exact opposite of guys
coding in C, for Kernel code. Moreover, JVM are awful to install
regarding a standard Python, Perl or Ruby interpreter in all major distro.

My choice would go for Python 2 with a clear path to migrate to Python 3
when needed (in 1 year)

Aurélien