[Lustre-devel] Language choice for Lustre tests

Nathan Rutman nathan_rutman at xyratex.com
Thu Oct 25 14:36:02 PDT 2012

On Oct 25, 2012, at 2:17 PM, Prakash Surya <surya1 at llnl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:04:55AM -0700, Nathan Rutman wrote:
>>   There are several levels of "test framework" that are involved with
>>   automated testing of Lustre:
>>
>>     * unit tests themselves, written in bash, e.g. sanity 1a
>
> What do you mean by "unit tests" here? Because as I understand it,
> Lustre has no unit testing at all. It is all functional testing,
> which is related but completely different.
Let's please not get into this.  I just meant the individual tests.

>>     * test-framework.sh & friends, which provides some
>>       support/setup/communal library for unit tests
>>     * automated test systems, which automatically execute the unit tests,
>>       record and report the results.
>
> I don't quite understand why there is so much discussion regarding a new
> testing framework specifically designed for testing Lustre. Is there
> really nothing already out there we can make use of?
>
> Brian linked to the Autotest framework, does that not do what we want?

That covers the third meaning, but not the first two.   I'm only concerned about the
first two at the moment.

> If it doesn't work, why not?
It doesn't contain a Lustre-specific functional library, it doesn't safely limit the tests
that may be run on a specific system, it doesn't handle interoperability testing, etc.

> And how is our home brewed solution going
> to differ? Are there any other alternatives out there? I don't see
> benefit in spending development on a new framework if it's unnecessary.
>
> There is a lot of discussion regarding a tool (the language) and little
> involving the problem (lack of useful functional and unit tests to
> properly stress the system). Pick something, move on, and start
> improving the codes stability.
That was what I was trying to do.

> And if somebody *really* wants to build a new testing framework, have it
> live out of tree. Create it as a standalone project which interfaces
> with Lustre.
As stated in my presentation, that is part of the plan.