[Lustre-devel] LND Development

Tobias Groschup groschup at stud.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Aug 7 03:48:04 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I am a student of applied Computer Science at the University of
Heidelberg and I am  currently working on my master thesis about
distributed file systems on networks capable of Remote Direct Memory Access.

I work at the Computer Architecture Group, which develops a High Speed
Interconnect for High Performance Computing called Extoll. I have
experience in developing Linux kernel modules, as I work on Extolls
driver stack, including a kernel level API to access the Extoll device.
Our aim is to implement a LND which supports Extoll.

So I started to build the current lustre-master and the patched kernel
from scratch, which worked very well, thanks to the good documentation
online.

After consulting the Lustre Manual, some guides and papers including
"The Lustre Storage Architecture" and "Understanding Lustre Filesystem
Internals"  I did not find an comprehensive overview for the API a LND
has to implement. Although the function names are easy to find, its not
clear what the expected behaviour of the function is, or with which
ranges of input data they have to deal.

Also, the Doxygen generated from the LNet source files was not very helpful.

So my question is: where do I start to implement a LND?
And: how can I test a LND without recompiling the whole Lustre RPM?

Thanks
Tobias Groschup