[Lustre-devel] Improving create rate with ZFS backed servers

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Thu Jul 25 20:39:26 PDT 2013

Some quick thoughts:
- the initial creates on the OSTs should always be negative, so I wonder if it is possible to "optimistically" create new objects and detect name collisions only if the file already exists?  There is some risk that this would re-introduce the duplicate filename problem that was recently fixed, which might itself be a contributor to the slowdown?
- check that the sequential object names being used for the objects do not cause imbalanced usage of the ZAP buckets (not sure what options ZFS has to change the hash function though)
- check that Lustre's usage of the ZAP and ZoL's usage of the ARC ensures that often-referenced items are indeed being kept in the ARC, and not e.g. being forced out by VM pressure. There are/were problems with ldiskfs' usage of the page cache were not properly being referenced in the page cache even when it called mark_page_referenced().

Cheers, Andreas