[Lustre-devel] Export over NFS sets rsize to 1MB?

James Vanns james.vanns at framestore.com
Tue May 14 08:07:00 PDT 2013

Thanks for replying Andreas...

> On 2013/13/05 7:19 AM, "James Vanns" <james.vanns at framestore.com>
> wrote:
> >Hello dev list. Apologies for a post to perhaps the wrong group but
> >I'm
> >having a
> >bit of difficulty locating any document or wiki describing how
> >and/or
> >where the
> >preferred read and write block size for NFS exports of a Lustre
> >filesystem are
> >set to 1MB?
>
> 1MB is the RPC size and "optimal IO size" for Lustre.  This would
> normally
> be exported to applications via the stat(2) "st_blksize" field,
> though it
> is typically 2MB (2x the RPC size in order to allow some pipelining).
> suspect this is where NFS is getting the value, since it is not
> passed up
> via the statfs(2) call.

Hmm. OK. I've confirmed it isn't from any struct stat{} attribute (st_blksize
is still just 4k) but yes, our RPC size is 1MB. It isn't coming from statfs()
or statvfs() either.

> >Basically we have two Lustre filesystems exported over NFSv3. Our
> >lustre
> >block size
> >is 4k and the max r/w size is 1MB. Without any special rsize/wsize
> >options set for
> >the export the default one suggested to clients (MOUNT->FSINFO RPC)
> >as
> >the preferred
> >size is set to 1MB. How does Lustre figure this out? Other
> >non-Lustre
> >exports are generally much less; 4, 8, 16 or 32 kilobytes.
>
> Taking a quick look at the code, it looks like NFS TCP connections
> all
> have a maximum max_payload of 1MB, but this is limited in a number of
> places in the code by the actual read size, and other maxima (for
> which I
> can't easily find the source value).

Yes it seems that 1MB is the maximum but also the optimal or preferred.

> >Any hints would be appreciated. Documentation or code paths welcome
> >as
> >are annotated /proc locations.
>
> To clarify from your question - is this large blocksize causing a
> performance problem?  I recall some applications having problems with
> stdio "fread()" and friends reading too much data into their buffers
> if
> they are doing random IO.  Ideally stdio shouldn't be reading more
> than it
> needs when doing random IO.

We're experiencing what appears to be (as of yet I have no hard evidence)
contention due to connection 'hogging' for these large reads. We have a set
of 4 NFS servers in a DNS round-robin all configured to serve up our Lustre
filesystem across 64 knfsds (per host). It's possible that we simply don't
have enough hosts (or knfsds) for the #clients because many of the clients
will be reading large amounts of data (1MB at a time) and therefore preventing
other queued clients from getting a look-in. Of course this appears to the user
as just a very slow experience.

At the moment, I'm just trying to understand where this 1MB is coming from!
The RPC transport size (I forgot to confirm - yes, we're serving NFS over
TCP) is 1MB for all other 'regular' NFS servers yet their r/wsize are
quite different.

Thanks for the feedback and sorry I can't be more accurate at the moment :\

Jim

--
Jim Vanns
Senior Software Developer