[lustre-devel] lctl conf_param vs set_param -P

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 14 13:41:03 PDT 2015

I too am confused.  And a bit dismayed that there is so little in the
way of code comments to explain the intent.

Is it the intent of "set_param -P" that the specified changes only take
effect after components are restarted?  And if so, why?

How would a normal system administrator go about finding out what
settings are currently set permanently?

I read through LU-3155 and see the discussion about using a single llog
file for all nodes, so I will withhold comment about that for now.

 From a user-interface standpoint though, presenting a single namespace
for all nodes in the entire center seems like less than desirable
choice.  Might we not want to set settings differently on different
clusters (be they client or server clusters)?  Given that not all paths
under /proc have differentiating strings in their path, there are some
things that can only be set completely globally in this design.

And what about sites that use an MGS per filesystem, rather than a
single MGS for the entire site?  If one MGS says that the debug level
should be one value, and another says that the debug value should be
another value, is it entirely random which debug setting will appear on
any given node?

Chris