[lustre-devel] Lustre and libreadline

Patrick Farrell paf at cray.com
Wed Jun 3 11:32:05 PDT 2015

Good afternoon,

Cray has recently discovered that 'lfs getstripe' crashes with a null
pointer if it is not built with libreadline (Found in 'readline-devel').

When built without libreadline, Lustre uses its own implementation of
the readline components it needs.  (Look for "HAVE_LIBREADLINE" in
libcfs/libcfs/util/parser.c)  This is the source of the null pointer.

I think libreadline should be available on every platform we wish to
build Lustre on, so I'd rather not fix the broken internal version of
it.  Given that, is there any objection to adding an explicit
BuildRequires to the spec, making it mandatory in the config process,
and removing all traces of Lustre's internal readline implementation?
If not, I'll open a Jira ticket to do this.

- Patrick