[lustre-devel] An updated quick start guide for a virtual Lustre clustre - call for input

John Suykerbuyk john.suykerbuyk at seagate.com
Wed Jun 3 13:27:40 PDT 2015

Hello,

I’m a fairly new hire with Seagate’s Cloud Services group supporting and
contributing to Lustre.  Being relatively unfamiliar with Lustre, I was
given the opportunity to write a quick-start guide that new developers such
as myself could follow.

I’m soliciting any input as to what others might want to be included before
submitting my final draft.

At LUG 2015, Brian Andrus had an excellent presentation that I’m basing my
document upon and extending (
http://cdn.opensfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Lustre-101_Andrus.pdf).

My intent is to enable new developers to quickly get a virtual Lustre
cluster up and running with very little knowledge of Lustre, KVM or even
specifics of which repositories and packages to pull from to get things to
“just work”.

At the moment, my write up is about 80% complete, and I have a collection
of very simple BASH scripts that bootstraps Centos 6.6 VM’s entirely from a
local kickstart file with no local installation media required (everything
is pulled from mirrors.centos.org).  I am also setting up YUM in the VM’s
to prioritise the repos at https://downloads.hpdd.intel.com/public/lustre
and https://downloads.hpdd.intel.com/public/e2fsprogs ahead of anything
else along with another very simple script that does the the actual install
and configuration.

I chose to document much of the menial steps in scripts as it serves to
both document what pages of text would attempt to explain and it gives the
option to “just use it”.

Before wrapping this up and presenting the final draft, I am turning to the
community for any input on things that should be included.

Thank you!

John Suykerbuyk