[lustre-devel] Lustre and libreadline

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Thu Jun 4 04:21:09 PDT 2015

On 2015/06/03, 4:49 PM, "Ned Bass" <bass6 at llnl.gov> wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 09:07:11PM +0000, Simmons, James A. wrote:
>> >You say you just install the library and not the utils, but do you
>> >specifically build without the utils?  Is there some existing config
>> >option for that?  (Hoping to save myself some grepping...) Otherwise,
>> >I'll have to add in that option.
>> >
>> >It also seems that readline-devel isn't available for the Intel Xeon
>>Phi
>> >chips (or at least Cray doesn't have it in our build setup).
>>
>> This is just papering over the real problem. The utilites should be
>>using
>> getopt() instead. The only thing Parse does that is non standard is
>> an interactive command line. The only place I have ever used that is
>> for lnet selftest. Does lfs really need an interactive command line?
>> I think not.
>
>I concur. There a few lctl commands that can only be run today in the
>interactive mode because they rely on earlier commands. For example,
>"conn_list" requires that you first run "network". Such commands should
>be updated to use sub-arguments rather than relying on previous
>commands.

This is handled by having a "command" named "--net" that runs the next
command (e.g. "conn_list") so that it can be run from the command-line.
That can definitely be replaced by getopt.  I don't think interactive mode
is used very much anymore, so would probably be ok to remove from lctl.

Lustre Software Architect
Intel High Performance Data Division