[lustre-devel] CentOS 6 - Build problems with kmod

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Fri Aug 19 13:52:51 PDT 2016

On 08/19/2016 06:57 AM, Ben Evans wrote:
> When I ran into the problem, I did an rpm -I --nodeps and it worked
> fine.  The errors you are seeing are dependencies listed in the RPMs,
> not ones used by the actual .ko's.

Please do not use --nodeps unless you are an rpm expert and entirely
understand why the problem is happening, and what the impacts of using
--nodeps will be.

In this case, the warnings are correct, and the underlying problem
really needs to be resolved.

> I spent some time trying to dig up where the 'kmod-' prefix for all the
> kernel symbols was getting inserted, but couldn't track it down.

I'm not sure what you mean.  The kernel symbol names don't have a kmod-
prefix added...

Are you asking where RHEL kmod-lustre-* packages put their kernel
modules?  They are installed in /lib/module/<kernel version>/extra,
where <kernel version> is the version against which Lustre was compiled.
 The modules are then symlinked into the /lib/module/<kernel
version>/weak-updates of the other kernels that offer symbols compatible
to the particular module being symlinked.

Or do you mean where does the kernel's provided symbols get listed?
Those do not involve kmod- named packages.  Most (all?) of the compiled
modules are simply in the base kernel-<kernel version> package.  There
is a file listing all symbols offered by the kernel in
/boot/symvers-<kernel-version>.gz.

Chris