[lustre-devel] CentOS 6 - Build problems with kmod

Patrick Farrell paf at cray.com
Fri Aug 19 14:10:05 PDT 2016

On 08/19/2016 03:58 PM, Christopher J. Morrone wrote:
> On 08/19/2016 01:51 PM, Patrick Farrell wrote:

>>> You are saying that literally only one rpm is produced?  If that isn't
>>> what your are saying, please list all of the produced rpms, and also
>>> list which ones you are installing.
>> Yes, one non-source RPM.  I don't install any RPMs as part of the build
>> process itself.
> You should be installing RPMs as part of the build process.  You should
> install Lustre's BuildRequires before building Lustre.
Huh.  OK.  I have never needed to do so before when building everything
from scratch.

Is this build process documented somewhere, so I can switch to it in my
testing environment?  I don't know how to invoke a CentOS kernel build
to create those RPMs I now need.

>>> If you only have a single kernel rpm, then you almost certainly don't
>>> have the correct packages installed to allow Lustre to compile against
>>> that kernel.  Lustre is probably compiling against some other installed
>>> kernel.
>> It's compiling the whole kernel from source, so I don't need any other
>> packages.  I build Lustre against the kernel bits directly, in the
>> directories where they were built, not by installing any kernel RPMs.
> That is only going to work if you don't want to make lustre RPM
> packages.  If you want to build RPM packages, you need to follow
> standard RPM practices.  In other words, you need to have Lustre's
> prerequite packages installed before you build Lustre's RPMs.
>
> So you are going to need to those other kernel packages, and you need to
> install them before building Lustre.
Funnily enough, I've been building Lustre RPM packages this way for
years, and they've always worked fine.  I get that it's not standard
practice and I need to adjust - But it did work up until now, and I
believe it's the only documented process for building Lustre and the
kernel from source.

- Patrick