[lustre-devel] staging: lustre: One function call less in class_register_type() after error detection

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 26 12:56:20 PDT 2016

> But kobject_put() already checks for NULL, right?

Yes. - Such an input parameter validation is performed by the
function implementation.

> you just submitted another batch about that in other area.

I sent update suggestions because of this function property for two
Linux software modules in the year 2015.

>> Adjust jump targets according to the Linux coding style convention.
>
> Not that I am totally against this patch,

Thanks for your feedback.

> but when we do not need the extra checks, a single jump target is ok too in my mind

A single goto label will look convenient for a while. It will often work
for several use cases.

> (extra benefit - there's not going to be any chance of a mistake to where to jump to).

I have got an other opinion when you would like to care for a bit
more software efficiency.

> And when we have a single jump target, there's no supersmart naming
> like free_this_and_that_and_that_other_thing_too.

How often do you care for efficient exception handling in the shown
function implementations?

Regards,
Markus