[lustre-devel] HSM partial archive/restore

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Thu Aug 3 06:41:12 PDT 2017

I've thought about partial HSM archive/restore a few times in conjunction with composite layouts.

It wouldn't be too hard to create PFL/composite layouts for chunks of the file arbitrarily (e.g. every 10GB for very large files) so that the file can be restored partially or incrementally or in parallel from multiple tapes.

This may also be useful for File Level Redundancy, so that the file can be resync'd in chunks if only part of the file is lost.

On the Lustre side, PFL has implemented virtually all of the support needed to do this in the 2.10 release.

For HSM this might involve putting the HSM archive information into the composite layout itself, so that different archive identifiers (UUIDs) can be stored for different extents of the file, or possibly different archived replica versions of the file. That would need some work, and integration with the copy tools and coordinator to be able to understand components that represent partially-restored files.

Cheers, Andreas