[lustre-devel] Proposal for JobID caching

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Tue Feb 7 15:01:43 PST 2017

On Feb 2, 2017, at 08:20, Ben Evans <bevans at cray.com> wrote:

> https://review.whamcloud.com/#/c/25208/ is a working version of what I had
> proposed, including the suggested changes to default to procname_uid.
> This is not perfect, but the performance is much improved over the current
> methods, and unlike inode-based caching Metadata performance isn't
> negatively affected.  Multiple simultaneous jobs can be run on the same
> file, and get appropriate metrics.

I reviewed the patch, and one question that I had is whether you've tested
if the JobID is correct when read/write RPCs are generated by readahead or
ptlrpcd?  That may be more relevant once the async readahead threads are
implemented by Dmitry.  With an inode-based JobID cache then the JobID can
(usually) be correctly determined even if the RPC is not generated in the
context of the user process.

I don't think that is necessarily a fault in your patch, but it may be that
the JobID determination hasn't kept pace with other changes in the code.  It
would be great if you would verify (possibly with a test attached to your
patch) that JobID is assigned to all the RPCs that need it.

Cheers, Andreas

Lustre Principal Architect
Intel Corporation