[lustre-devel] (no subject)

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Tue Jan 10 20:18:13 PST 2017

It's fine to add the lnet-specific functionality from lctl to lnetctl, but we shouldn't remove existing functionality from lctl to avoid breaking scripts that may be using it today.  4+ releases after all of the LNet specific lctl functionality has been added to lnetctl we can start printing deprecation warnings, and after 8+ releases they can be removed.

Lustre Principal Architect
Intel High Performance Data Division

On 2017/01/10, 18:08, "lustre-devel on behalf of Amir Shehata" <lustre-devel-bounces at lists.lustre.org<mailto:lustre-devel-bounces at lists.lustre.org> on behalf of amir.shehata.whamcloud at gmail.com<mailto:amir.shehata.whamcloud at gmail.com>> wrote:

lnetctl was designed to control LNet only. We have not moved the rest of the lctl functionality. lctl does a lot of other lustre specific functions.

The idea was to have lnetctl be only LNet specific, and lctl lustre specific. In essence we are attempting to decouple LNet from lustre. There has been some talk about upstreaming LNet before lustre with all the work that James Simmons from ORNL is doing.

thanks
amir