[lustre-devel] have df report a more up-to-date view of the filesystem

quentin.bouget at cea.fr quentin.bouget at cea.fr
Wed May 17 04:16:34 PDT 2017

Hi everyone,

In LU-8940 <https://jira.hpdd.intel.com/browse/LU-8940> I describe an
issue I am having with df in Lustre's tests. In short, df/statfs can
report outdated information about a Lustre filesystem; given enough
time, its output gets correct. From what I understand, statfs cannot
report an "always up-to-date" view of the filesystem as this would cost
too much time and resources.

I would like to know what you guys think of having Lustre's statfs
operation report a view of the filesystem /at least as new as when the
last sync operation completed/?

My point being that users (and tests) would be able to run df --sync to
get up-to-date information (at the cost of a sync operation, and maybe
some accounting for statfs).

Regards,
Quentin