[lustre-devel] Lustre client out of staging

Cory Spitz spitzcor at cray.com
Tue May 22 21:15:55 PDT 2018

Hello, all.

I think we need a new subject for this conversation.

On 5/22/18, 7:57 PM, "lustre-devel on behalf of NeilBrown" <lustre-devel-bounces at lists.lustre.org on behalf of neilb at suse.com> wrote:

    My main thought is that it is crazy that we have the client in Linux but
    not the server.  However that ship obviously sailed long ago.  One of my
    first priorities after getting lustre-client out of staging will be to
    get lustre-server into staging. It makes zero sense to develop them
    separately.

And neilb at suse.com wrote:

    The path out of staging is to remove all the warts we can find, address
    all the issues that have been raised in the past, then say "please".
    If people don't see things they hate, they'll probably just shrug.
    If they do, we will respond to their concerns and have a productive
    discussion.  "Established user base" carries a lot of weight with
    Linus - not enough to suppress the gag-reflex, but enough to ignore the
    whiners.  So if we had well-documented cases of people using the
    code that is in Linux, and indications of interest from other
    stake holders, that would be an important part of the sell.

I think part of our problem is that we can't get an established user base.  It's the proverbial chicken and an egg.  The Lustre client in staging is not at all modern enough.  The out-of-tree server has significant capabilities that the in-tree client can't leverage.  Who would use the in-tree client?  I hope that there is a way out of staging because only then will we be able to bring the user base.