[lustre-devel] client-server wire protocol

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Wed Oct 2 10:45:28 PDT 2019

On Sep 28, 2019, at 14:35, Bradley C. Kuszmaul <kuszmaul at gmail.com<mailto:kuszmaul at gmail.com>> wrote:

Is there a well-defined client-server wire protocol so that one could imagine building a different client or a different server that would interact with lustre?

I took a quick look through the lustre sources and documentation, but didn't find it.

There is a partially-completed wire protocol document in Git: https://git.whamcloud.com/?p=doc/protocol.git

However, I seriously doubt that it would be sufficient to implement a different client/server than the existing one,
since it is unfortunately both incomplete and already somewhat out of date.

Since Lustre is open-source software, there is little motivation to spend the huge amount of time & effort to
reimplement the client or server.  Also, the Lustre protocol changes over time in order to add new functionality,
so a full reimplementation would become obsolete over time without continuous effort equal to all of the other
Lustre developers combined.

It would be better to add/fix/port existing code as needed rather than implementing everything from scratch.
If I might ask, what is your interest in this area?  We're always looking to grow the number of developers and
contributors in the Lustre community.

Principal Lustre Architect
Whamcloud