[lustre-devel] Recommendation for hsm_restore for directories

Degremont, Aurelien degremoa at amazon.fr
Wed Dec 15 07:33:02 PST 2021

Hi Andreas,

I've been already looking at this ticket and I'm not thinking at the exact same feature (even if not incompatible).

I think you're thinking at efficient way to backup/restore a Lustre filesystem. I'm more thinking at ways to plug a Lustre FS in front of an existing HSM backend. If the backend already exists, you need to accept its current data structure (usually file/dir/object based) and not a tarball or disk image.
But all of this is HSM_ARCHIVE oriented and I'm more thinking of HSM_RESTORE feature for directories. And restoring means detecting and blocking client accesses while the directory is restored (or mounted).
At the end, if the copytool is pushing that as a image and restoring a image it is up to copytool in my opinion.

The question for me is more what should be the way for Lustre to manage Directories if they start to be releasable. What does that mean in term of LDLM locking, internal states, etc… Do you have an idea for that?  My research looking at current code did not give a clear path for that. Implementing something similar to what is done for file is not that easy either.

Aurélien