[lustre-devel] Rationale behind pre-create objects

Sudheendra Sampath sudheendra.sampath at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:35:41 PST 2021

Hi,

I am curious to find the reason behind 'pre-create object' for a new
file/directory creation.

My wild guess is that when you are using 'spinning disks' as the backend
storage, pre-creating objects before the actual data comes will minimize
latency overhead of disk seek.

If my wild guess is correct, my follow-up question is:

If I am using SSD based devices as backend storage, do we need this
pre-create anymore given that SSD are super-fast compared to spinning media
?

Appreciate if anyone can provide some insight into this.

Thanks,

--
Regards

Sudheendra Sampath