[lustre-devel] Lustre log question(s)

Sudheendra Sampath sudheendra.sampath at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 12:42:19 PST 2021

Hi,

I am trying to evaluate osd-zfs based MDS and OST deployment on a 2 node
setup.

I have the following questions about Lustre log:

   1. *Is changelog and llog both the same, in the sense are they
   synonymous with each other?*
   2. I understand that ZIL is currently not supported in Lustre version
   2.12.2.  My question is :
      1. My understanding is that transactions (in general) need some
      logging mechanism for it to work in 'all or none' scenarios.  Please
      correct me if my understanding is incorrect.   I understand that
changelog
      has to be enabled so that filesystem changes are recorded to be replayed
      after a crash.  *How does Lustre transactions work if there is no
      intent log/changelog ?*
      2. Does it mean that if changelog is NOT enabled and there is a
      crash, we risk losing all changes/updates to the filesystem ?

Appreciate your timely response and Thank you for your help.

--
Regards

Sudheendra Sampath