[lustre-devel] Possible change to "lfs find -size" default units?

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Sat Nov 4 23:13:52 PDT 2023

I've recently realized that "lfs find -size N" defaults to looking for files of N *bytes* by default, unlike regular find(1) that is assuming 512-byte blocks by default if no units are given.

I'm wondering if it would be disruptive to users if the default unit for -size was changed to 512-byte blocks instead of bytes, or if it is most common to specify a unit suffix like "lfs find -size +1M" and the change would mostly be unnoticed?  I would add a 'c' suffix for compatibility with find(1) to allow specifying an exact number of chars (bytes).

On the other hand, possibly this would be *less* confusing for users that are already used to the behavior of regular "find"?

Lustre Principal Architect
Whamcloud