[Lustre-discuss] Redundancy with object storage?

Mustafa A. Hashmi mahashmi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 04:58:50 PST 2007

Dear Joe, Dante,

Apologies in advance about not replying inline to your comments.

I am getting the impression here that DRBD is being considered as a
"remote" mirroring solution which makes it seems like the secondary
oss housing the backup OST is sitting far far away making it
unreliable or inefficient. Side note: DRBD+ does have the provision of
allowing mirroring of data to a third node which will replicate
asynchronously (quite customizable really).

One can configure independent network routes for DRBD replication,
which are synchronous btw, and with heartbeat in the picture and a NPS
accounted for, the overall deployment can absolutely have a very
reliable, highly available and robust architecture coupling the
various technologies being discussed.

Our company uses a small Lustre cluster in the above configuration
whereas two of our clients (both financial houses) have similar
clustered solutions, which admittedly are small (3 TBs approximately
serving a no more than 20 clients), catering to core applications.

DRBD / local storage / HA and Lustre would require a bit of know-how
to put together, however,  if cost is an issue (or even sometimes when
it's not), it's absolutely worth a look into. We've been running
happily for months now -- with many many fail-overs :)

mustafa.