[Lustre-discuss] e2scan

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Nov 7 14:12:53 PST 2007

On Nov 07, 2007  18:19 +0200, Mertol Ozyoney wrote:
> I need to offer a solution for copying 82 TB data from a Lustre 1.4.6 system
> to a new Lustre 1.6.x system. Copy process will work daily and first copy
> will be full and incremantal copies will follow.

Using e2scan will allow you to efficiently generate lists of files that
have changed since the last rsync.  The e2scan tool is included in e2fsprogs
at ftp://ftp.lustre.org/pub/lustre/other/e2fsprogs/testing/ but it is still
undergoing some development.

> It will be quite nice if we can offer functionality that backup software
> have, like being able to restore a file from a previous date not from the
> last copy.

This will not be easily done until Lustre is moved over to using ZFS with
snapshots.

Sr. Software Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.