[Lustre-discuss] Several LOV on th same MDT

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Nov 14 13:01:21 PST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007  08:24 -0800, cliff white wrote:
> Evgeny Altunin wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have several storage for OST of different size, reliability and
> > performance. The idea is to group them in different LOV on the same MDT.
> >
> > The questions are:
> > 1. Is that the right/working way of doing this?
>
> That's one way of doing it. Whether it's the right way depends on what
> you want to do with the storage. You must have a separate MDT partition
> for each LOV.

To clarify - at this point you will just have separate Lustre filesystems.

> > 2. Can I mount more then one LOV on one client?
> Certainly.

... for different filesystems.

> > I could also group them into number of directories with different stripe
> > start and count settings. Let's say /lfs/dir1 has stripes on OSTs 0-3,
> > /lfs/dir2  on OSTs 4-7, and os on. But I couldn't add new OSTs to
> > /lfs/dir1 in that case.

This is a Lustre feature we call "pools", which will allow grouping OSTs
in different ways (e.g. performance, locality, reliability, etc).  I don't
think we have started working on it yet.

Sr. Software Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.