[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Debug level

Cliff White Cliff.White at Sun.COM
Fri Nov 16 09:10:49 PST 2007

Wojciech Turek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lustre manual 1.6 v18 says that that in production lustre debug level
> should be set to fairly low. Manual also says that I can verify that
> level by running following commands:
> # sysctl portals.debug
> This gives ne following error
> error: 'portals.debug' is an unknown key

Sigh. This is another error in the manual. As you might suspect, the
correct answer is 'lnet.debug'

# sysctl lnet.debug
lnet.debug = ioctl neterror warning error emerg ha config console

> cat /proc/sys/lnet/debug
> gives output:
> ioctl neterror warning error emerg ha config console
>
> cat /proc/sys/lnet/subsystem_debug
> undefined mdc mds osc ost class log llite rpc lnet lnd pinger filter
> echo ldlm lov lmv sec gss mgc mgs fid fld
>
> manual says that in order to set reasonable production debug level one
> need to put numeric value into debug files like below:
> echo 0x3f0400 > /proc/sys/lnet/debug
> Will this work under lustre 1.6.3 or maybe it is old reference from 1.4
> release and there is new way of changing lustre debug level in new
> releases?

The hex bitmasks will work with 1.6.3, however we have added nice
human-readable strings.  '-1' will
still set all values 'on' and is a simple way to see the entire list..

# echo -1 > /proc/sys/lnet/debug

# cat /proc/sys/lnet/debug
trace inode super ext2 malloc cache info ioctl neterror net warning
buffs other dentry nettrace page dlmtrace error emerg ha rpctrace
vfstrace reada mmap config console quota sec

# echo "ioctl neterror warning error emerg ha config console" >
/proc/sys/lnet/debug
# cat /proc/sys/lnet/debug
ioctl neterror warning error emerg ha config console

cliffw