[Lustre-discuss] obdfilter-survey customization variables

Cliff White Cliff.White at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 19 08:03:36 PST 2007

Sébastien Buisson wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am looking for some information about some obdfilter-survey
> customization variables. The variables I am considering are thrlo and thrhi.
>
> The fact is that I could not find any precise documentation about the
> meaning of these variables. Does it depend on the case ('disk',
> 'network', 'netdisk') ?

Thrlo and thrhi determine the number of threads tested. In a perfect
world, IO should increase as you add threads. Once you reach the maximum
throughput for your hardware, IO should stay steady as you add threads.
The test will start with thrlo threads, each test pass the number of
threads are doubled until reaching thrhi.

The values you use should not depend on the test case. We usually adjust
based on the hardware - a big SMP system will support more threads.

cliffw