[Lustre-discuss] Balancing I/O Load

Tom.Wang Tom.Wang at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 29 14:30:52 PST 2007

Charles Taylor wrote:
> We are seeing some disturbing (probably due to our ignorance)
> behavior from lustre 1.6.3 right now.     We have 8 OSSs with 3 OSTs
> per OSS (24 physical LUNs).   We just created a brand new lustre file
> system across this configuration using the default mkfs.lustre
> formatting options.    We have this file system mounted across 400
> clients.
>
> At the moment, we have 63 IOzone threads running on roughly 60
> different clients.    The balance among the OSSs is terrible and
> within each OSS, the balance across the OSTs (luns) is even worse.
> We have one OSS with a load of 100 and another that is not being
> touched.    On several of the OSSs, only one OST (luns) is being used
> while the other two are ignored entirely.
>
> This is really just a bnuch of random I/O (both large and small
> block) from a bunch of random clients (as will occur in real-life)
> and our lustre implementation is not making very good use of the
> available resources.   Can this be tuned?    What are we doing
> wrong?    The 1.6 operations manual (version 1.9) does not say a lot
> about options for balancing the work load among OSSs/OSTs.
> Shouldn't lustre be doing a better job (by default) of distributing
> the workload?

Actually, lustre 1.6 of course consider balancing ost load. When it create
the objects, it will choose the OST by its usages and also  try to
choose the ost
from different OSS.  If the ost usages is about the same, lustre choose
the OST
by rr policy.  I think  you  should  check  your  ost usage. And also
use lfs find to get the files located in that heave load OSS and copy
them to redistribute that.

Thanks
WangDi