[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.6.2 + 2.6.18 - Directory index full!

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Mon Oct 1 22:14:33 PDT 2007

On Oct 01, 2007  14:33 +0200, Erich Focht wrote:
> On Friday 28 September 2007 19:29, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Because it requires changes to the on-disk directory format of ext3 in
> > a way that isn't likely to ever make it into upstream ext4 and we don't
> > want to support that indefinitely (adds a pointer to a remote MDS for an
> > inode and stores 128-bit file identifiers).  Also, we need mechanism to
> > do name->value lookups in the filesystem (also doesn't exist in ext3).
> > Both of these are possible with ZFS.
>
> Does this mean Lustre servers will some day run on Solaris, only? Can't
> imagine you aim at ZFS-FUSE on Linux...

No, not at all.  The Lustre servers (both OST and MDT) are moving to
userspace and will interact with the DMU component of ZFS directly.
The DMU, in turn, will do O_DIRECT (zero copy) IO to the underlying
disk devices.  Since the DMU implements 95% of the functionality of
ZFS and has been designed to run in userspace as well as in the Solaris
kernel, we get the benefits of ZFS without any kind of kernel module
(license) headaches.

Principal Software Engineer
Cluster File Systems, Inc.