[Lustre-discuss] lustre e2fsck corrupts files by changing i_size

Cédric Lambert cedric.lambert at bull.net
Thu Oct 4 06:12:16 PDT 2007

Hello,

We have an IA64 cluster with 64K kernel page size and we use lustre
1.4.8.1 and e2fsprogs-1.39cfs8.
We meet the following problem :
1. I Create a Lustre file system, then start this file system and mount
it on a client node
2. On this client node, I copy 2 files in my /mnt/lustre
3. I umount Lustre file system on this client node then stop Lustre file
system
4. I use then : /usr/lib/lustre/e2fsck /dev/OSTs-device

And big surprise :  for each files created on the Lustre file system, it
displays the following :
Inode 163882, i_size is 199041, should be 262144.  Fix?

The real size of my file is 199041 ! So if I choose "Yes" to the
question, This file will be corrupted.

Additional info : my device Block size is 4096

I think there is an error in the test code of the phase1. What do you
think ? Do I need to open a bugzilla for this very serious problem for
us or do I miss something ?

I tested this case with e2fsprogs-1.39-cfs8 and e2fsprogs-cfs2 and I
didn't find a ChangeLog for e2fsprogs provided by CFS. So perhaps this
problem is corrected in another release ?

Regards,
Cédric Lambert