[Lustre-discuss] Hardware Question

Daniel Leaberry dleaberry at iarchives.com
Fri Oct 5 10:02:53 PDT 2007

Aaron Knister wrote:
> I'm planning to hang 58 terabytes off of a PowerEdge 1950 with 4 CPUS
> and 8 gigs of memory. My MDS is a dual core Opteron with a 250gig
> raid1 metadata volume and 2GB of ram. Do you think this hardware
> configuration is sane?
>
> -Aaron

Depends how much you push your disks. Your waiting on io will shoot up
real quick if the disks slow down even a bit. My experience is you'll
probably want more machines unless you're not pushing your disks (in
which case why run lustre?)

We have about 85TB of disk (in 24 luns) hanging off 4 PE2950's with
those same specs. They are set up in failover pairs (each handles 6
luns) but I can't run too long on a single machine before it starts
thrashing when it takes over the other nodes 6 luns.

Daniel