[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.6.3 - where are the bug fixes?

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Fri Oct 12 03:49:30 PDT 2007

On Oct 12, 2007  05:49 -0400, Charles Taylor wrote:
> Hmmm.   This is the approach that has always frightened us away from
> Lustre.   Is there one version of Lustre for paying support customers
> and another for those who, for whatever reason, can't or don't want
> to pay for support.

No, there is a single version that we release for everyone.

> What do you mean when you say "assist you more
> effectively"?   Does that mean you will apply the patches in the
> bugzilla database for him?   How does that help if he can do it
> himself?

The issue is that we are a company that is paying a lot of people to
maintain and develop Lustre, and without paying customers none of this
would get very far.  It's great that we can give Lustre away freely for
anyone, but the truth is that customers who are paying for support have
priority in terms of getting attention to their bugs.

In terms of how it can help Nikke to have support with CFS - it means
we can afford to have someone smart like Alex on our staff to fix this
problem in the first place.  The fact that the fix in question didn't make
it into 1.6.3 is an oversight on our part, as the patch was definitely
ready in time for the release.  We will of course include it in the next
release, possibly making a point release with this fix sooner.

> For a lot of very good reasons, we would like to go to lustre.
> There is much to like about it.  However, we run OFED 1.2 on our
> cluster and need Lustre 1.6.2+ for OFED support.   So far, our
> attempts to test this version of lustre on our 400+ node IB cluster
> have resulted in impressive performance and scalability and...lots of
> crashes (mballoc) and a corrupt file system that neither e2fsck nor
> lfsck could fix.   It is too bad because it seems that lustre is just
> a few fixes away from having one of the most amazing open source
> packages in the Linux universe.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems, possibly the same ones being
discussed here.  As for OFED 1.2, this will also be available in the
1.4.12 release, if that is of interest to you, and of course we are
working to address issues with 1.6 as well.

Principal Software Engineer
Cluster File Systems, Inc.