[Lustre-discuss] iptables rules for lustre 1.6.x and MGS recovery procedures

Anand Bisen ddn at abisen.com
Wed Oct 17 12:16:05 PDT 2007

Isaac,

Thanks for the reply. In our setup in cases where we could have
multiple lustre file systems  (with IB, 10Gig et. al) i don't want to
waste one (switch port, IB HCA) for the MGS node as there would not
be a lot of traffic for MGS, so I am planning to use just a regular
GigE network for the MGS even for the cases where we would have IB on
the OSS and compute nodes.

So I would run MGS on the regular GigE network which would provide
the config information to all the OSS/MDS and clients irrespective of
the network that these clients would use for the IO.

Thanks

Anand

On Oct 17, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Isaac Huang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> AFAIK, UDP is not used in LNet, the Lustre networking sub-system. TCP
> port usage depends on the LNDs (Lustre Network Driver) you're using.
>
> For LNDs that rely on LNet acceptor to establish connections (ciblnd,
> openiblnd, ralnd, and socklnd), the acceptor port must be open.
> Acceptor port can be configured via lnet module parameter
> "accept_port",
> which defaults to 988.
>
> The o2iblnd creates connections via OFED RDMA CM API, which
> requires no
> TCP/UDP port to work despite the fact that it utilises IP addresses.
> The viblnd should also fail into this category.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Isaac
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 12:00:32PM -0700, Anand Bisen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know what TCP/UDP ports should i keep open in my
>> firewall policies on my MGS server such that I can have my MGS server
>> fire-walled. Also if in a event of loss of MGT would it be possible
>> to recreate the MGT without loosing data or bringing the filesystem
>> down (i.e. by using cached information from MDT's and OST's)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Anand

---
Anand Bisen
Sr. Systems Architect, DataDirect Networks
9351 Deering Avenue, Chatsworth, CA 91311
Tel: 818-700-4053 Fax: 818-700-7665
Cell: 818-723-9752