[Lustre-discuss] xserve raid

Thu Oct 18 10:11:09 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 13:02 -0400, Brock Palen wrote:

> I did some basics test,  1MDS 1OST 1raid5 (half a xserve raid)  Using
> tiobench on 1 client,  using no partition table netted about 5MB/s
> faster for streaming read/write.  I will scale up my tests though and
> try some other raid configurations.  Thanks for the help.

You could consider using the sgpdd_survey in our iokit.  It was written
specifically to test raw disk throughput and can cover a large number of
concurrent threads and i/o sizes to show you the characteristics of your
disk.

Some disks, such as DDNs specifically (maybe there are others) are
recommended to use without partition tables because the partition table
at the beginning of the disk interferes with optimal alignment
characteristics of the disk and performance suffers as a result.

b.