[Lustre-discuss] Help needed for an upcoming HPC project

Fegan, Joe Joe.Fegan at hp.com
Tue Oct 23 08:12:38 PDT 2007

> Cons: no multi-port access to disks prevents failover

Just to expand a little: Afaik, Thumper is essentially a bunch of disks
plus a single server node integrated into a fairly compact rackmount
unit. The disks are only visible to the integrated node so if that node
goes down, hangs or whatever, access to those disks is lost. To create a
Lustre configuration today that can survive the loss of a server node
you need more than one node with a physical connection to the disks, and
for that you need some sort of dual-ported scsi/sas raid box or fiber
channel san or similar.