[Lustre-discuss] bonding and multiple OST per OSS

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:16:11 PDT 2007

Hello,
In reading the manual about bonding (we will need to bond our Gige)
I get the impression that we should let lustre take care of it and
not use the linux bonding drivers.  Am I correct in this assumption?
If so I would have 2 interfaces each with their own IP,  how does the
client know to use both interfaces?  Is this just advertised by the
MGS to the client when mounted?  Or does a client choose a random
interface and does all IO to that OSS though that interface for that
transaction?

Also our OSS will have 2 separate devices,  I would like to be
separate stripe targets for lustre.  (ie if using 1 OSS lfs
getstripe, would show a large files striped over 2 OST's)  Is this
fine?  or should we software raid them together and make one large
OST on top?

Thank you

Brock Palen
Center for Advanced Computing