[Lustre-discuss] Final rpm wrong kernel version

Fri Oct 26 09:20:07 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 15:01 -0700, Ashenafi D wrote:
> I am using the pre-patched luster kernel sources for 2.6.9-55 build
> 1.6.1 and 1.6.3.
> And using the default toplevel Makefile with EXTRAVERSION =
> -55.0.9.EL_lustre.1.6.3custom
>
> Building from the srouces and running "make rpm" produces an rpm file
> where the kernel version being concatenated 9 and 55,
>
> kernel-2.6.955.EL_lustre1.6.1custom_161.smp-1.x86_64.rpm

Right.  This is an artifact of the upstream kernel's "make rpm" target
and is cosmetic only.  It only manifests itself in the RPM's name.

> kernel-2.6.955 should have been kernel-2.6.9-55.EL....

Ideally, yes.

> After editing the toplevel Makefile EXTRAVERSION option to  underscore
> 55
> the final rpm looks like the following:

You don't want to do that.  You are now altering the actual version of
the kernel you are producing.  Leaving the dash in there maintains the
same versioning that we use.

b.