[Lustre-discuss] Lustre on mpath devices

Cliff White Cliff.White at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 26 12:55:38 PDT 2007

Klaus Steden wrote:
>> That depends...  It depends on what "blkid -t LABEL={fsname}-OST0001"
>> returns.  It _should_ be smart enough to return the DM device, but
>> it is prudent to make sure of this.  There shouldn't be any problem
>> with mounting the Lustre filesystems by LABEL= (which is one reason we
>> moved to a mount-based setup).
>>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I just checked out my local system and it's returning a regular device name
> (/dev/sdh, or /dev/sdi, depending on the label) and a unique UUID, but then
> I didn't enable multipath when I built the FS.
>
> If I avoid using the /dev name, is it still possible to build failover
> properly if I'm not using the multi-path framework? If it's not, is a
> rebuild of the filesystem required in order to enable multi-path support?

Hmm. Let's be clear here. You are talking about node failover, which
would be managed by some sort of HA framework (Heartbeat, etc)
For node failure, again you only have to be sure the disk is reachable
by both nodes (shared) and that each node has a consistent method for
identifying the shared spindle. Mulitpath shouldn't matter to Heartbeat,
it will use the Lustre mount command which supports labels.
cliffw