[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.6.2 + 2.6.18 - Directory index full!

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Thu Sep 27 13:09:02 PDT 2007

On Sep 27, 2007  16:10 +0200, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> >On Sep 27, 2007  10:53 +0200, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
> >>We have 13701222 files in one directory, and creating more files there
> >>fails even though we have lots of free inodes in the filesystem.
> >
> >We generally only test up to 10M files in a single directory.  If you had
> >a perfect hash distribution you might be able to get to 25M files in the
> >directory.
>
> I suspected something like that. The error message needs some help
> though, I'd prefer having the directory in question in there if
> possible, or at least some hint on where to look.
>
> >>On MDS we get this in the kernel log:
> >>[692361.061558] LDISKFS-fs warning (device sdb2): ldiskfs_dx_add_entry:
> >>Directory index full!
> >
> >This is one of the reasons we are moving to ZFS for the back-end storage.
>
> Any idea on the timeframe?

The 1.8 release (planned Q1 2008) will allow new filesystems to be created
with ZFS OSTs and MDTs.  We will require ZFS for clustered MDTs in 2.0
(and possibly all backing stores, though it should of course be possible
to still use 1.8 OSTs if required).

Principal Software Engineer
Cluster File Systems, Inc.