[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.6.2 + 2.6.18 - Directory index full!

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Fri Sep 28 10:29:02 PDT 2007

On Sep 28, 2007  09:47 -0700, Kevin Fox wrote:
> Is there a reason clustered metadata must be ZFS only?

Because it requires changes to the on-disk directory format of ext3 in
a way that isn't likely to ever make it into upstream ext4 and we don't
want to support that indefinitely (adds a pointer to a remote MDS for an
inode and stores 128-bit file identifiers).  Also, we need mechanism to
do name->value lookups in the filesystem (also doesn't exist in ext3).
Both of these are possible with ZFS.

> On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 14:09 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> > > I suspected something like that. The error message needs some help
> > > though, I'd prefer having the directory in question in there if
> > > possible, or at least some hint on where to look.

> > > Any idea on the timeframe?
> >
> > The 1.8 release (planned Q1 2008) will allow new filesystems to be created
> > with ZFS OSTs and MDTs.  We will require ZFS for clustered MDTs in 2.0
> > (and possibly all backing stores, though it should of course be possible
> > to still use 1.8 OSTs if required).

Principal Software Engineer
Cluster File Systems, Inc.