[Lustre-discuss] 1.6.4.3 changes CPU mapping in RHEL., and 10x performance loss in one application

Chris Worley worleys at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 17:11:32 PDT 2008

Two issues with the RHEL 2.6.9-67.0.4 Lustre kernel vs. the kernel of
the same rev from RH...

1) Need to understand how the patches caused a change in the CPU
mapping in the kernel.

I was running RHEL's 2.6.9-67.0.4 kernel w/o Lustre patches, and the
 core to logical processor allocation was (as shown by /proc/cpuinfo):

        =============      =============    Socket

        ====== ======       ======  ======    L2 cache domain

         0    4      1     5          2      6     3     7     logical processor

 After installing the Lustre version of the kernel, the allocation is:

        =============      =============    Socket

        ======  ======      ======  ======    L2 cache domain

         0     1      2      3        4      5      6    7     logical processor

 Why and where was this changed?  I have a user that seems to really care.

2) One user has an application whose performance took a 10x nosedive
after the change in kernel from RHEL's 2.6.9-67.0.4 to Lustre's kernel
of the same rev.

The application can run w/ and w/o MPI.  It uses HP-MPI.  In a
single-node 8-processor case, running both with and without MPI shows
the difference... so it's something in HP-MPI, but it's happening even
on a single node (no IB) and it's also peculeure to this app (another
HP-MPI user saw only an 8% degradation in performance after this
kernel change).

In looking at a histogram of the system calls in the app having
issues, there were lots of calls to: sched_yield, rt_sig* functions,
getppid, and "select".  It also calls "close" a lot with invalid
handles!  This app also has >600 threads running (on a single node!)
during its lifespan.

Any idea what happened to this apps performance in the kernel change?

Note that I didn't patch the kernel myself, I'm using the kernel from
the lustre.org web site.

Thanks,

 Chris