[Lustre-discuss] Lustre routers capabilities

Sébastien Buisson sebastien.buisson at bull.net
Wed Apr 9 10:07:05 PDT 2008

Hi there,

I have two Lustre filesystems using Infiniband as interconnect. Each
filesystem has its own Infiniband network (physically separated from the
other one), its own OSSs and its own storage devices (OSTs). From the
Lustre clients of the first filesystem I need to access the second
filesystem.
For that purpose I would like to setup a Lustre router farm between the
two Infiniband networks. The routers would have several IB interfaces,
some of them connected to the IB network of the first filesystem, the
others connected to the IB network of the second filesystem.
I am wondering how many Lustre routers I will have to put. I mean, if I
have an available bandwith of 100 on each side of a router, what will be
the max reachable bandwith from clients on one side of the router to
servers on the other side of the router? Is it 50? 80? 99? Is the
routing process CPU or memory hungry?

Thanks in advance.
Sebastien.