[Lustre-discuss] OSS on compute nodes

rishi pathak mailmaverick666 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 11:35:55 PDT 2008

By compute node if you mean a node which is a part of a compute
cluster(parallel computing) then it would be a very bad idea.
I tried it on my 16 node cluster using both IB and ethernet.It always showed
that nodes which were running OSS were over utilized and they were since
user's reported this fact.
But in my case there was no raid controller.I was using a partition of the
OS disk.
You may very well try it in experimental environment and run some
benchmarking test's for both lustre(using compute node OSS and then other
OSS) and lmbench , do it mix and match and compare the results.If you are
successful then please repost the results.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Peter Avakian <Peter.Avakian at sun.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Do you see any problem in having each compute node, within a grid,
> acting as an OSS server via the separate IB channel on the fabric? My
> compute nodes have built-in raid controllers.
> Any feedback and comments are really appreciated.
> Regards,
> -Peter

Regards--
Rishi Pathak