[Lustre-discuss] Inode count differences between client and MDS

Jakob Goldbach jakob at goldbach.dk
Sun Apr 13 15:19:07 PDT 2008

Hi

> There is another variable to this - we look at amount of free blocks
> (in assumption
> of every file taking at least one block) and decrease avail number of
> inodes
> if there are not enough free blocks to cover available inodes.

I can see that the avail blocks on the MDS is close to avaiable onode
count - There is a low more on the OSS'es

But why is the MDS looked at here. The fileblocks are on the OSS - not
the MDS.

> Because they are empty files, so they don;t consume any blocks yet.
> What if you create them nonempty?

Tried creating a small file. Same thing

client# df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed    IFree IUse% Mounted on
mds at tcp:/foo        75383282   21667 75361615    1% /mnt/foo

client# cp /etc/fstab myfile
client# df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed    IFree IUse% Mounted on
mds at tcp:/foo        75383283   21668 75361615    1% /mnt/foo